Some guidance for the use of club craft
- Wearing a PFD is recommended
- Always paddle with a buddy
- Please fill in the ‘Club Craft Usage Log’ at the stand-up desk in the foyer
- Only embark and disembark with craft parallel to beach or jetty and fully floating
- Don’t run Club boats onto beach or over rocks (particularly important for composite craft)
- Avoid putting full body weight on areas behind cockpit of composite boats
- Ensure rudders/skegs are raised prior to embarking or disembarking
- Ensure ski’s or K1’s with underneath rudders are embarked or disembarked in deep water
- Check hatches and bungs are in place and watertight before paddling
- Hose down boats and equipment after use (including internally around footrest, rudder and other fittings)
- Ensure all sand and debris is emptied from the cockpit as these damage fittings
- Empty boats of all water using a two person tip or the sponges provided before storing
- Store in correct boat bays
- Use boats for trips from the clubhouse
- Try your hand at different styles of boats
- Plastic boats can be booked for trips away from Club
- Fibreglass / composite craft can’t be used away from Club without permission from Boat Officer
- Participate in Club events and training
- Ask for advice when buying your own craft
- If a boat is damaged in any way please fill out the ‘Club Craft Repairs Log’ at the stand-up desk in the foyer and follow the repairs process as documented in the front of the logbook. Damaged boats can be a hazard for the next paddler.
- Club craft are for the use of all members, repairs are costly and time consuming, please treat craft with the care, as you would your own belongings
- If a boat is damaged due to carelessness or negligence you may be requested to contribute to some or all of the repair costs. If a boat is damaged beyond repair, it may need to be replaced by you at the cost of an equivalent new model
Additional guidance for the use of composite club craft
This includes Stellar 14 and Stellar 15 touring kayaks, Stellar 18 skis, Grafton sport and other TK1s, Sprint K1s and junior Guppys.
- When entering or exiting they must be fully floating in deep water off the jetty. Running these craft onto the beach or launching by pushing off the beach will result in undue wear and damage.
- If you have any questions on the use of these craft please contact a Club Instructor, Committee Member or the Boat Officer.